Ouallam

The community of Ouallam is graduating

Ouallam’s community is making strong progress toward caring for all its children, not just those who are sponsored. They are now transitioning to self-sufficiency. Together with other Canadians, you’ve played an important part in helping Ouallam get there. Thank you! 
 


With the help of your generous and loving support, life in Ouallam has transformed. Children and families are much stronger now. The community has met its goals, and its members are working together to tackles new ones. Your support will have a lasting impact for years to come.

Located in northwest Niger, 100 km from the capital city of Niamey, the Ouallam community covers an area of just over 18,000 km2. 90% of the people are of Zarma ethnicity, with other ethnic groups such as Hausa, Touareg, Peul, and Arab comprising the remaining 10%.

Ouallam's climate is very dry, and temperatures can climb above 45℃ . Rainfall is scarce and irregular. The rainy season extends from June to September and the rest of the year is dry from October to May.

Niger experienced significant food crises in 2005, 2010, and 2012 due to insufficient rainfall. This has caused low food production and high food prices, resulting in families struggling to find disposable income to buy enough food to meet their daily needs.
People in Ouallam are celebrating that they are now empowered to move forward without World Vision’s presence. Here are some of the accomplishments:

Child Protection
  • 1 spiritual leader partnered with World Vision Canada to bring positive changes in the lives of children and families
  • 100 community members learned about child rights and protection issues to help ensure children's safety and participation
  • 9 children were rescued from early marriage thanks to the child protection systems established by the community
Education
  • 104 teachers learned child-friendly teaching methods to improve the quality of education for children
  • 18 children received the resources they need to learn including school fees, supplies, books and uniforms
  • 2,401 children are getting extra help to improve their reading and writing through camps and classes
  • 440 children are participating in cultural and recreational clubs, learning new things and having fun
  • 6 schools received classroom tools and resources to create a safer and stimulating learning environment for students
Health
  • 1 health facility was improved with medical equipment and supplies to better care for children and families
  • 10 health workers were trained to provide quality health services, especially for women and children
  • 8,855 parents learned about common childhood illnesses and how to protect their children's health
  • 998 children were vaccinated to protect them against preventable diseases
Livelihood
  • 1,207 farmers received livestock, seeds or tools to improve productivity and help meet their family needs
  • 158 savings groups are helping children and adults save money and access loans to grow businesses or cover basic expenses
  • 3,177 people are part of savings groups, helping them meet their financial needs and access small loans
  • 50 farmers learned techniques to improve crop and livestock production to better provide for their children and families
Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
  • 17 renovated water sources are providing access to safe water, protecting children against waterborne diseases
  • 2,225 people learned about the importance of water safety, proper sanitation and hygiene to stay healthy
  • 2,944 children have safe water for drinking and cooking thanks to improved water sources
  • 26,760 people have safe water for drinking and cooking thanks to improved water sources
  • This community is partially free of open defecation, ensuring a more sanitary space for children and families
Results achieved from October 2017 to September 2018
  • 15.0% of children were underweight according to their age, as a result of malnutrition in 2017 decreasing from 22.0% in 2014.

Explore Ouallam

current conditions

To protect the privacy of children, this map shows only the general area of the community, not the exact location.

  

Life cycle of a sponsorship community

Ouallam,  is in Phase 3

PHASE 3: Enhance sustainability

Children and families enjoy improved living conditions. They're ready to become independent and continue the work you helped start. We invite you to help another child and community!