Children's entertainer Fred Penner performs at a free "Ride the Wave event for families interested in learning about global poverty and international development. The event takes place on Saturday, May 30 from 3-5pm at the Italian Cultural Centre (3075 Slocan St, Vancouver) Photo/World Vision
Ever wonder how donations to international aid agencies are used to transform the lives of children and families? Ever question if a child who is sponsored overseas is actually real? Canada's largest international relief and development organization, World Vision, is inviting Vancouverites to get the inside scoop on its work in 100 countries at an interactive family event.
WHAT: World Vision's Ride the Wave event
WHERE: Italian Cultural Centre (3075 Slocan St, Vancouver)
WHEN: Saturday, May 30 (3 – 5pm)
WHO: Leland Klassen, Ride the Wave Host, is recognized as Canada's premier stand-up comedian over the last 16 years. With his unique intelligence and wit Leland has carved out a niche for himself in the world of entertainment, being part of the Halifax Comedy Fest, Just for Laughs in Montreal, and many others.
Fred Penner is an acclaimed family entertainer, singer/songwriter, actor, and author. His repertoire includes a prolific 12 Children's Albums, countless energetically packed live shows for throngs of eager audiences across North America.
Edgardo Gonzales will share his personal story of growing up as a sponsored child in the Philippines and how as an adult he is now giving back to help children in need.
James Carol, Director, World Vision Canada, will lead a panel discussion and Q & A about international development.
- Children enter a "Child-Friendly Space" like this one in Nepal, to learn first-hand how kids are helped during emergencies.
- Fred Penner performs for children.
- A former sponsored child shares his personal story of growing up in poverty and how he is now giving back to help other children.
- Attendees play an interactive game that puts them in the role of an aid worker helping communities
- Plus many more fun and interactive experiences