On the trip, Elizabeth was served “malva pudding.” The dessert has Dutch origins but it’s considered a classic in South Africa.
Want to try your hand at it? Here’s the recipe.
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon apricot jam
5 ounces all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vinegar
1⁄3 cup milk
3⁄4 cup fresh cream
3 1⁄2 ounces butter
3.5 ounces sugar
1⁄3 cup hot water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
You can help build hunger-free communities. Learn more!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease a small oven proof dish (7”x7” works well)
3. Beat the sugar and eggs together until thick and lemon coloured, then add apricot jam and mix well
4. Melt the butter without boiling, then add the butter and vinegar to the wet mixture
5. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, soda and salt
6. Add this mixture to the milk to the egg mixture and beat well
7. Pour into baking dish and bake until pudding is brown and well-risen—between 30 and 45 minutes.
8. In the meantime, use a sauce pan and melt together the ingredients for the sauce, stirring well
9. Pour sauce over the pudding as soon as it comes out of the oven.
10. Leave to stand several minutes before serving.
This dessert is best served warm, with a little extra sauce or vanilla ice cream on the side.
If you give this recipe a go, make sure to tell us in the comments!